Montréal, City of History
May 22, 2012
Montréal, May 1st, 2012 - Starting today, 35 museums and organizations are taking part in Montréal, City of History, an event that, for the first time, brings together under one banner a special program of activities highlighting Montréal history throughout 2012. Over 60 activities for all audiences will be held from now until December 31.
In presenting the event, its initiator, Pointe-à-Callière, the Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History, and the association of Montreal History Museums are aiming to showcase the historical character of Montréal all year long. Note that several significant anniversaries in the history of Montréal coincide in 2012, including the 370th anniversary of the founding of Montréal, and the 400th anniversary of the birth of its founder, Paul de Chomedey, sieur de Maisonneuve.
"Montréal, City of History is in a way a prelude to help increase Montrealers' awareness of the importance of the 375th anniversary of the founding of Montréal in 2017. This project was very important to us, and we were delighted with the way it was welcomed by the participants, who we thank for having responded so enthusiastically to our invitation. In all, 35 museums and organizations have come forward to raise awareness and foster an appreciation of Montréal's history. Together, they have come up with programming to delight young and old, and families as a whole," stated Francine Lelièvre, Executive Director of Pointe-à-Callière.
For the occasion, a well-planned program has been developed, inviting the general public to explore history and take part in a variety of activities designed for one and all. The array of enriching and entertaining events includes exhibitions, tours, discussions with passionate historians, theatrical re-enactments, role-playing, publications, and much more.
"I proudly welcome this unique initiative, which gives us the opportunity to explore and become better acquainted with the origins, history, and evolution of our city. This common heritage richly deserves to be highlighted and shared with the public," said Ms. Helen Fotopulos, City Councillor, and member of the City of Montréal Executive Committee responsible for culture, heritage, design, and women's issues.
The goal of Montréal, City of History is therefore to raise awareness and foster an appreciation of our city's rich history and its evolution among Montrealers, tourists, school groups, and families, encouraging them to visit history museums and other cultural organizations. The program of events can be viewed starting today, on the Montreal History Museums website at www.musees-histoire-montreal.ca/en/.
For André Delisle, President of Montreal History Museums and Executive Director of Château Ramezay, this project represents an excellent showcase for all of the participating organizations. "It is also an excellent opportunity to promote the diversity of our activities to a wide audience invited to explore these places of remembrance that bring Montréal history alive in a captivating way."
From its birth to the Montréal of today Founded on May 17, 1642, the City of Montréal is privileged to have access to its birthplace, at Pointe-à-Callière, as well as to several other places and sites that bear witness to its ancient and more recent history, and its evolution. As part of Montréal, City of History, the activities taking place in several Montréal boroughs will allow the public to discover and explore a castle, a fortified arms depot, a canal, a port, military buildings, middle-class homes and farmhouses, a former public bathhouse, mills, and religious buildings, and to meet characters who made history and left their mark on it. Montréal's history will be in the spotlight all year long in 2012.
Fascinating places to explore and visit Here is the list of museums and organizations participating in Montréal, City of History:
- Archives - Grey Nuns of Montréal
- Atelier d'histoire de la Pointe-aux-Trembles
- Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BANQ)
- Centre d'histoire de Montréal
- Château Ramezay - Historic Site and Museum of Montréal
- Cité historia, musée d'histoire du Sault-au-Récollet
- Dorval Museum of Local History and Heritage
- Écomusée du fier monde
- Héritage Montréal Foundation
- Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS)
- Lachine Canal National Historic Site
- Les amis de la montagne
- Maison nationale des Patriotes and Centre d'exposition La-Prison-des-Patriotes
- Maison Saint-Gabriel, museum and historic site
- Marguerite-Bourgeoys Museum
- McCord Museum
- Montreal First Peoples' Festival
- Montreal History Museums
- Montréal Holocaust Memorial Centre
- Musée de Lachine
- Musée des Hospitalières de l'Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal
- Musée du Château Dufresne
- Museum of Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal
- Notre-Dame Basilica
- Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History
- Quays of the Old Port of Montréal
- Redpath Museum
- Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal National Historic Site of Canada
- Sir-George-Étienne-Cartier National Historic Site
- Sisters of Saint Anne Historic Centre
- Société de développement du Parc historique de la Pointe-du-Moulin
- Société généalogique canadienne-française
- Société historique de Montréal
- Stewart Museum
- 30 -
Director, Conservation, Public Programs and Services
Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Museum of Archaeology
Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History
Montreal History Museums
Centre d'histoire de Montréal